Saturday, August 27, 2011

Harvesting!

     The first year is one where the bees builds up comb on new frames and then fill it with honey to provide sustenance for the colony through the winter.  Once the two hive bodies are filled, any additional honey can safely be harvested.  We got our bees almost a month later than usual because of the cold and rain in Georgia this spring so we weren't sure if they'd have enough time to build survival stores let alone a surplus but the "over-achiever" hive did just that. On Tuesday, the first extraction took place.
     In preparation, I cleaned off all the kitchen counters, rolled up the kitchen rug and readied paper towels, wet sponges etc. Not everyone was as excited as I was about the honey, two family members were more excited with the re-decorating, but then I didn't expect much help from them anyway.
Now, remember that I'd put the escape board on to get the bees to leave the honey super (which I would harvest from) and I went out to bring it into Harvest Central. It has nine frames instead of the usual ten to give the bees more room to work.  Three of the frames had honey on them that the bees hadn't capped yet and that's not good honey to harvest. Once the honey has a low enough moisture content, the bees will cover it with wax.  At this point, the honey is very low in water, won't spoil and will stay fresh for months-their technique to store honey in the hive for a long period of time. If one were to harvest this honey, it could spoil and that wouldn't be good.

                                                                            (uncapped honey)

I put the three frames with the uncapped honey back into the hive and hoped that the bees can finish them off by Labor Day.  This is the designated time that most beekeepers set as time to take off the honey supers. The bees will use the time between Labor Day and bitter cold to finish storing honey, repair any comb etc. etc.
The other 6 frames were capped and I used this tool to lift off the wax, exposing the beautiful liquid.

Then I took four frames and put them into the extractor-the piece of equipment that will spin the honey out of the comb.
      Next,  I put the clear plastic cover on and started to crank it up.  Our instructors had warned us to spin it gently the first time around as the comb is new and could be "blown out". I covered it, cranked it up, flipped the frames around to extract both sides,  cranked it again and eagerly opened the top to see............nothing.
Apparently my definition of "gently" was closer to "inefficiently", so I closed it up and put more muscle into it.  The next time I looked, I could see honey pooling at the bottom of the extractor. Now, that's exciting!
      I opened the valve and let it all drain into a bucket with a sieve attached. The sieve will separate any bee parts, wax or any other detritus and allow the honey to be nice and clear.
      Once all of the honey was drained from the extractor-from all six frames-I covered the bucket and let it sit for 24 hours to let all the bubbles rise out of the honey. In the meantime,  I was left with honey covered equipment and a very sticky extractor. Nature has all kinds of great solutions to "problems" and again following my mentors suggestion, I took all the equipment outside and put them about 75 yards away from the hive.  Within 20 minutes, they were covered with "my" bees, wasps, and bumblebees all drawn by the smell of the honey.

(this is after 10 minutes, after an hour, I couldn't get near it for the cloud of insects)


     All of the bees etc. will either assume they've found a fast-food site and eat like crazy, or will take this honey back to their hives.  The reason the sticky equipment is placed away from the hive is because if it's closer, the non-hive residents could decide to "rob" the hive of it's stores-associating honey in the hive with the free honey on the equipment.
     Within four hours most of the equipment was spotless. Within 24 hours, the extractor looked like it did when I took it out of the box. Truly amazing and very easy. 
     The next day, I gathered my honey bears and jars and bottled 20 containers of beautiful honey-probably about 2 gallons in total.
     My co-workers, friends and family will be sharing this yummy stuff with us. One of my co-workers thinks she can taste honeysuckle in it so I wonder if there's some nearby.
     This was really exciting and very rewarding. As I said, next weekend, I'll pull the honey supers off for the season and will harvest whatever they contain. If the honey is still uncapped, it can be harvested and then fed back to the bees. I'll spin it in the extractor and then pour it into their feeder trays. They'll store it in the comb in the hive, cap it, and keep if for their consumption during the winter.
       Now it's only 5 days since I was so excited with the hive and today I'm worried about them.  We're anticipating Hurricane Irene and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my "girls" will be ok. Jack and I went out last night and lashed the hives to their platform and put extra bricks on the top cover so I'm hoping that will keep them safe.

     May everyone and every bee stay safe and secure throughout this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment